MCE Awarded $158 Million for Energy Efficiency, Electrification
All-Time Funding Nearly Doubled Through 2031
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 18, 2023
Jackie Nuñez, Bilingual Communications Manager
(925) 695-2124 | communications@mceCleanEnergy.org
SAN RAFAEL and CONCORD, Calif. — The California Public Utilities Commission has unanimously approved $158 million in funding for MCE’s energy efficiency initiatives through 2031. The funding nearly doubles MCE’s efficiency budget and will benefit customers, cut greenhouse gas emissions, and help support a reliable power grid.
In 2022, MCE avoided $4.58 million in system-wide energy costs and paid over $2.35 million in customer rebates.
“Over the last ten years, we’ve seen tremendous progress in helping residents and businesses make critical upgrades to save energy and reduce costs,” said MCE CEO, Dawn Weisz. “With this expanded funding, we will continue to put money back into the pockets of residents and local businesses who play a key role in helping create a modern energy grid we can all rely on.”
The funding will:
- Provide low and no-cost upgrades to over 3,600 low- and middle-income households, giving equitable access to energy efficiency programs for all.
- Support upgrades for residents living in affordable single and multifamily properties and small businesses in underserved, low-income communities.
- Increase electrification rebates and investments for home and businesses by nearly five-times starting in 2024.
- Pay commercial, industrial, agricultural, municipal, and multifamily customers for reducing their energy use.
- Create high-quality jobs through workforce education and training in electrification, responding to a major need in the region.
MCE expects to reduce an estimated 148,000 megawatt–hours of energy consumption, equivalent to taking 23,340 gas-powered cars off the road, and provide roughly $148 million in benefits over the next eight years.
About MCE: MCE is a not-for-profit public agency and the preferred electricity provider for more than 580,000 customer accounts and 1.5 million residents and businesses across Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, and Solano counties. Setting the standard for clean energy in California since 2010, MCE leads with 100% renewable power at stable rates, delivering a 1200 MW peak load and significantly reducing greenhouse emissions and reinvesting millions in local programs. For more information about MCE, visit mceCleanEnergy.org, or follow us on your preferred social platform @mceCleanEnergy.