Local Electricity Provider Invests $4.6 Million in Certified Small and Diverse Businesses
Includes Small, Micro, Woman–, Minority–, LGBT–, and Disabled–Veteran–Owned Businesses
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 6, 2023
MCE Press Contact:
Jenna Tenney, Manager of Communications and Community Engagement
(925) 378-6747 | communications@mceCleanEnergy.org
SAN RAFAEL and CONCORD, Calif. — Local electricity provider, MCE, is issuing its 2023 Supplier Diversity Report, showcasing its $4.6 million investment in diverse businesses. That represents an almost 400% increase in spending with these organizations from 2021 to 2022.
“Small and diverse businesses are the backbone of our communities,” said Devin Murphy, MCE Board Director and Mayor of the City of Pinole. “MCE’s focus on reaching small and local businesses has been extremely successful. Last year, we contracted for almost $50 million with over 40 diverse, local, and small businesses.”
MCE’s supplier diversity outreach strategies include:
- Hosting annual workshops to help businesses become certified through the California Public Utilities Commission’s (CPUC) Supplier Clearinghouse,
- Engaging with diverse Chambers of Commerce and community-based organizations across its service area,
- Offering a portfolio of capacity building programs for small and local businesses,
- Encouraging submissions from diverse suppliers to MCE’s competitive solicitations, and
- Educating and supporting our existing vendors to get various certifications.
In 2023, MCE will deepen its commitment to creating more equitable communities by creating and distributing additional content in Spanish, launching a new equity-focused commercial energy efficiency program, and seeking partnerships made through the Department of Energy’s Office of Economic Inclusion and Diversity.
Learn more about MCE’s efforts in the 2023 Supplier Diversity Report or sign up to receive future solicitations at mceCleanEnergy.org/opportunities/.
About MCE: MCE is a not-for-profit public agency and the preferred electricity provider for more than 580,000 customer accounts and 1.5 million residents and businesses across Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, and Solano counties. Setting the standard for clean energy in California since 2010, MCE leads with 100% renewable power at stable rates, delivering a 1200 MW peak load and significantly reducing greenhouse emissions and reinvesting millions in local programs. For more information about MCE, visit mceCleanEnergy.org, or follow us on your preferred social platform @mceCleanEnergy.
Download Press Release (PDF)